Resources: Suggested Materials and Recommended Reading
Warning Regarding Dog Training Materials:
There is a lot of information on the web, in books, on TV and coming as advice from well intentioned people. Most of that advice is conflicting which will confuse your dog! Some of that advice is outdated, much of it dangerous. Here I have compiled a list of my approved resources. Everything here will match the methods used in class.
My Favorite Websites
Our Own YouTube Channel! - Here we post videos of students and my own dogs performing their behaviors!
www.puppypleasedogtraining.wordpress.com - My blog on various dog topics including raising my own puppy!
www.livingwithkidsanddogs.com Excellent resource for parents or parents to be trying to manage the joys and responsibilities of parenthood with the joys and responsibilities of pet ownership.
www.dogstardaily.com - A Fabulous collection of articles, tips and videos to help you with your dog.
www.abrionline.org - Another collection of wonderful examples of positive training in action.
Nail Trimming Video - An Exceptional example of positive training to overcome handling challenges!
www.clickersolutions.com - This is an excellent source for clicker training articles.
www.dragonflyllama.com - This is one of my personal favorites. It is my measuring stick to evaluate where my dogs are in their training.
My Favorite Books:
- "Puppies First Steps" by the faculty of the Tufts University Behavior Department
- "Click To Calm" by Emma Parsons (Aggression or Reactivity)
- "Control Unleashed" by Leslie McDevitt (Excitement, Reactivity, Lack of Focus, Sport Dog Preparation)
- "Don't Shoot the Dog" by Karen Pryor (Introduction to positive reinforcement for animals OR people!)
- "The Complete Idiots Guide to Positive Dog Training" by Pam Dennison (Introduction to positive reinforcement)
- "The Power of Positive Dog Training" and "Positive Perspectives" by Pat Miller (Introduction to positive reinforcement)
- "The Other End of the Leash" , "For The Love of a Dog" (Perspective on the human-canine relationship) and "I'll Be Home Soon" (Separation Anxiety) by Patricia McConnell
- "Clicking With Your Dog" by Peggy Tillman (Step by step in Pictures)
- "How To Live With Kids And Dogs Without Losing Your Mind" by Colleen Pelar (child proofing dogs and management of living with dogs and kids together)